My 5 of 25 Reasons Why I’ll Leave Your Website in 10 seconds
There are plenty of reasons why I don’t stick around on a website/blog and this list has most of them. But I’m usually gone in about 5 seconds.
I think they’re all pretty annoying but I’ve selected 5 and I’m passing out frowns and a gold star again.
3. Interstitials. When I click on a link I expect to be taken straight to that page, rather than being dumped on a page with a big ad on it.
4. Pagination. Do you really need me to load 10 pages to see 10 medium-sized pictures with small captions? Or to read a Top 10 list across 10 pages when it could just as easily be displayed on one page? Pagination is a cheap trick, in my view, to artificially inflate page impressions.
5. Slow load times. Don’t make me wait! I pay a premium for my 50MB home broadband connection…
6. Prioritisation of ads vs content. This is the evil twin of slow load times… Some navigation may quickly appear before the whole thing grinds to a halt while we wait for an ad server to kick into life.
7. Woeful navigation. Badly-designed navigation is one of the few truly mortal sins that you can commit as a web professional… Flash-based sites tend to be among the very worst sinners.
8. Poor scent trails. Hey, I just want my questions answered, ok? If I can’t find things easily and quickly then I will look elsewhere.
9. Key information is AWOL. Just for the record, there is no way I will click a ‘Book A Room’ button just to see how much a hotel room costs.
10. Immediate registration demands. Why? Why now? Aren’t you going to tease me a little first? Timing is everything.
12. Typos. Typos and poor grammar do not send the right signals to the visitor. There are literally no excuses.
13. Rubbish fonts. No right minded person would leave a website purely based on font aesthetics, but lame fonts can give off the impression that you’re not trying hard enough.
14. Narrow sites. There’s just something about sites designed for 800px monitors that gives me the creeps. Don’t you think?
15. Left-aligned sites. Again – and I can’t really explain why – sites that are aligned to the left (rather than centrally) just seem so 2002,…
16. Cookie cutter websites. Who wants to be known as a copycat?
17. Cobwebs. If the last ‘news’ was from ‘January 2004’ then I won’t hang around for long.
18. A lack of clarity. A descriptive, meaningful, plain English strapline is key.
19. PRspeak / jargon. I tend to be of the opinion that you can shove your synergies where the sun doesn’t shine.
20. Browser issues. Test, test, test, and figure out what your audience likes to use.
21. Flash. Sometimes I’ll hang around, much in the same way that people slow down on motorways to gawp at car crashes, but I normally back out faster than you can say “Jumping Jack”.
22. No ‘About’ page. Many websites are allergic to About pages, for reasons I cannot begin to figure out.
23. Video-only homepages. If I have the time and inclination I might sit through a three minute video, but I think there should always be a text option…
24. Boring vs unprofessional. Some sites have no verve, no personality, and are uniformly dull.
Do any of these annoy you?
Which ones would you pick?
The one I awarded the gold star to is all the way at the bottom this time. If you want people to read your blog, don’t use tiny light coloured text on a dark background. I’m out of there!
This is what’s bugging me today!
Quote for today
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing.
- My 5 of the 20 Most Annoying Things at the Grocery Store
- My 5 of the 50 Most Annoying Things About the Internet
- 15 Pet Peeves
- RandomBlog2011 Challenge
© 2010-2011 Things in life I find annoying
© 2010-2012 ClassyRose and Things in life I find annoying
Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited.
Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to ClassyRose and "Things in life I find annoying" with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.
Top Posts & Pages – Recent
Search My Site
- Fat cat's diet draws Facebook fans - CBC News: bit.ly/pYAdBI via @AddThis >>Tweet>> 5 years ago
- Couldn't resist sending this tweet out - Weekly Photo Challenge....Broken wp.me/pRMOb-1Ny /via @wordpressdotcom >>Tweet>> 5 years ago
- or not - I'm Back! - Kind of!: wp.me/p1fqaT-131 >>Tweet>> 5 years ago
- How To Deal With Blogs and Vacations http://nblo.gs/fMAU0 >>Tweet>> 6 years ago
- Piglet in Portugal: Missing Food From Back Home - Is It Just Me? expatfocus.com/piglet-in-port… >>Tweet>> 6 years ago