A Fat Tax! – It Won’t Work
For those who don’t know me, I’m skinny, extremely skinny, and when they start talking about adding a fat tax to high-calorie foods and soft drinks I just want to scream.
I don’t mean to offend anyone, but why do I have to pay more for my food because the obese and overweight people can’t control the quantity and quality of food they eat!
- It’s not one chocolate bar with 200 calories that makes you fat, it’s how many of them you eat in a day, week, or month.
- How many soft drinks are you drinking daily?
- How many times per week are you picking up fast food?
Every time I go to the grocery store I find there is another product I’m used to purchasing that is now lower in fat, calorie, sugar, salt. A jar of jam now has 50% less calories but I’m paying the same price and would have to use twice as much to get the same amount of calories as I did before.
I need all that so-called “unhealthy” stuff just to maintain my weight, never mind trying to gain some. And so does anybody else who suffers with Crohn’s Disease, Cystic Fibrosis, Cancer and other ailments where maintaining and gaining weight is difficult.
Don’t we have enough problems to deal with already without having to find the extra money needed just to pay for the calories we need.
Why make the unhealthy people who are already having a hard time pay a fat tax?
Dietitians I’ve seen in the past have told me to go ahead and have those french fries with gravy if it doesn’t irritate my Crohn’s Disease. They’ve told me to eat all the foods that any one who is trying to lose weight is told to avoid. That means the high-calorie foods and soft drinks that the government now wants to tax.
It’s not the food that leads to obesity. It’s the quantity of the food that leads to obesity.
It’s consistently exceeding your daily calorie requirements that leads to obesity.
Just like I’m skinny and have a hard time gaining weight, I know there are some who are overweight who have medical problems and have difficulty losing weight. That’s not who I’m talking about. I’m talking about the ones who can do something about if they really wanted to.
What do you think? – Will a fat tax work?
This is what’s bugging me today!
Quote for today
The only way to keep your health is to eat what you don’t want,
drink what you don’t like, and do what you’d rather not.
© 2010-2011 Things in life I find annoying
© 2010-2012 ClassyRose and Things in life I find annoying
Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited.
Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to ClassyRose and "Things in life I find annoying" with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.
Top Posts & Pages – Recent
Search My Site
- Fat cat's diet draws Facebook fans - CBC News: bit.ly/pYAdBI via @AddThis >>Tweet>> 5 years ago
- Couldn't resist sending this tweet out - Weekly Photo Challenge....Broken wp.me/pRMOb-1Ny /via @wordpressdotcom >>Tweet>> 5 years ago
- or not - I'm Back! - Kind of!: wp.me/p1fqaT-131 >>Tweet>> 5 years ago
- How To Deal With Blogs and Vacations http://nblo.gs/fMAU0 >>Tweet>> 6 years ago
- Piglet in Portugal: Missing Food From Back Home - Is It Just Me? expatfocus.com/piglet-in-port… >>Tweet>> 6 years ago